Dear All: Below my signature, find details of 4 new meetings and (collectively) 4 active or upcoming grant opportunities. One of the grants has a 6 Sep deadline, so look quickly! At the very bottom of the email you will find an integrated summary of all upcoming meetings … there is a lot going on!
I hope to see you at next week’s ASM-ESCMID conference for the first episodes of the CARB-Xed + GARDP Bootcamp for Developers Series. Until then, all best wishes, –jr
John H. Rex, MD | Chief Medical Officer, F2G Ltd. | Chief Strategy Officer, CARB-X | Expert-in-Residence, Wellcome Trust. Follow me on Twitter: @JohnRex_NewAbx. See past newsletters and subscribe for the future: http://amr.solutions/blog/
Meetings, two of which are preludes to grant competitions
- 1 Oct 2017 and 2 Nov 2017 (London): BSAC: AMR Market Lounges. A pair of networking days focused on solutions to the AMR challenge.
- 10 Oct 2017 (Hanoi): UK-Vietnam Newton Fund Pre-Call Workshop on Partnership for Infectious Disease Research 2017. This is a workshop in Hanoi in advance of a call for Newton Fund*-supported proposals from the collaboration between UK MRC and the -Vietnamese Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST).
- 20 Nov 2017 (that week, in China): UK-China Newton Fund Workshop: Antimicrobial Resistance Centre Partnerships Initiative. This is a workshop in China in advance of a call for Newton Fund*-supported proposals from the collaboration between Research Councils UK (RCUK) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC).
- 20 Nov 2017 (London): Early Career Researcher Workshop on Diagnostics for Antimicrobial Resistance. This will be a one-day workshop for early career researchers which will include invited experts “to provide inspiration, encourage interdisciplinary networking, and explore the barriers and opportunities facing the development of rapid diagnostics for infectious disease.”
*The Newton Fund builds scientific and innovation partnerships with 16 partner countries to support their economic development and social welfare, and to develop their research and innovation capacity for long-term sustainable growth. It has a total UK Government investment of £735 million up until 2021, with matched resources from the partner countries. The Newton Fund is managed by the UK Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), and delivered through 15 UK Delivery Partners, which include the Research Councils, the UK National Academies, the British Council, Innovate UK and the Met Office.
Other grant opportunities
- 6 Sep 2017 deadline for collaboration-focused grants: Global Challenges Research Fund Networking Grants: awards of up to £25,000 promoting interdisciplinary collaborations between researchers in developing countries and researchers in the UK on global challenges.
- 2018 (heads-up, no specific date or location): UK-China AMR R&D partnership: Tackling drug resistance. There will be a UK-China funding competition during 2018 to develop new products or services in which Innovate UK will invest up to £10 million in UK businesses on behalf of the UK Department of Health and the Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology (MoST) will invest up to 60 million RMB to fund the corresponding Chinese partners.
Integrated summary of upcoming meetings of interest to the AMR community:
- 5-8 Sep 2017: ASM-ESCMID conference on antibiotic R&D, including the CARB-X + GARDP Antibiotic Bootcamp
- 13 Sep 2017 (DC): FDA-CDRH workshop on diagnostic devices for detecting antimicrobial susceptibility & resistance
- [NEW] 1 Oct 2017 (London): BSAC: AMR Market Lounges. Networking day.
- 4-8 Oct 2017 (San Diego): IDWeek
- [NEW] 10 Oct 2017 (Hanoi): UK-Vietnam Newton Fund Pre-Call Workshop on Partnership for Infectious Disease Research 2017.
- 29 Oct-1 Nov 2017 (Santa Fe): Keystone Symposium – Antimicrobials and Resistance: Opportunities and Challenges
- [NEW] 2 Nov 2017 (London): BSAC: AMR Market Lounges. Networking day.
- 11-19 Nov 2017 (Annecy, France): International Course on Antibiotics and Resistance (ICARE)
- [NEW] 20 Nov 2017 (that week, in China): UK-China Newton Fund Workshop: Antimicrobial Resistance Centre Partnerships Initiative.
- [NEW] 20 Nov 2017 (London): Early Career Researcher Workshop on Diagnostics for Antimicrobial Resistance.
- 24-27 Nov 2017 (Taipei): 30th International Congress of Chemotherapy & Infection (ICC)
- 12-14 Feb 2018 (Baltimore): ASM Biothreats Conference
- 11-16 Mar 2018 (Ventura Beach): Gordon Research Conference on Antibacterial Discovery
- 21-24 Apr 2018 (Madrid): ECCMID
- 7-11 Jun 2018 (Atlanta): ASM Microbe
- 22-27 Jul 2018 (Bryant University, Smithfield, RI): Gordon Research Conference on Drug Resistance for Cancer, Infectious Disease and Agriculture