Incentives for R&D
Key Reports on Ways to Fund the Antibiotic Ecosystem
- 2014: Eastern Research Group for the US Department of Health and Human Services: link
- 2015: Chatham House in London: link
- 2016: UK AMR Review led by Lord Jim O’Neill: link
- 2017: Duke-Margolis Center for Health Policy (11): link
- 2018: DRIVE-AB for the European Union: link
- 2020: United States Government Accountability Office: link
Newsletters about value, incentives, and funding
- 9 July 2020 (link): “AMR Action Fund: A $1b Down Payment From Industry; A Call For Creation Of Strong Pull Incentives” — The announcement of the AMR Action Fund is the beginning of the next step towards a stable ecosystem for antibiotics!
- 12 June 2020 (link): “Perspectives on restoring the antibiotic ecosystem: ACS ID, June 2020 issue” — This newsletter surveys the excellent series of papers on AMR R&D in the June 2020 issue of ACS Infectious Diseases.
- 7 June 2020 (link): “Assessing antibiotic value: DTR, fire extinguishers, and a view from Australia” — This newsletter begins with a very succinct summary of the problem with antibiotics.
- 14 Apr 2020 (link): “Pull Incentives For Antibiotics: How Much And Why? — A literature survey” — A summary of papers approaching value from the diverse view points of scientific features at baseline, features that emerge, top-down value estimates, and bottom-up value estimates.
- 29 Mar 2020 (link, plus link to follow-up FAQ): “UK Antibiotic Subscription Pilot Implies Pull Incentive Of Up To $4b”
- 23 Mar 2020 (link): “Tetraphase Sold For $14m … And $600m Goes Up In Smoke!”
- 6 Mar 2020 (link): “What Does An Antibiotic Cost To Develop? What Is It Worth? How To Afford It?”
- 5 Jan 2020 (link and link, a 2-part series): “Melinta Goes Bankrupt / Never Let A Good Crisis Go To Waste” — Note that part 2 of this series contains the best estimate to date of the post-approval costs incurred by an antibiotic developer.
- 22 Apr 2019 (link and link, a 2-part series): “Scary, Scarier, Scariest: Achaogen bankruptcy”
- 17 Feb 2019 (link): “Modeling The Value Of An Effective Antibiotic: Megiddo et al.”
- 23 Jan 2018 (link): “Push! Pull! Push! Pull! / Highlights From Davos 2018”
- 11 Sep 2017 (link): “Incentives For Antibiotics: Summary of the insights from DRIVE-AB”
- 8 June 2017 (link): “Ardal et al. / Pull Incentives For Antibiotics – TATFAR Analysis Of 6 Models”
Dear All (semi-wonkish but intended for everybody to read and absorb): There’s been a lot of recent discussion about “lessons learned from COVID-19.” Indeed, there are many valuable points: global cooperation, preparedness, supply chains, and so forth. As an example, I note the 17 Sep 2020 communique from the G20 Health Ministers (link): it was heavily
Dear All (lots and lots of wonkish detail here, be sure your blood caffeine level is adequate!), During the 24-28 Aug 2020 BEAM Alliance-sponsored AMR Conference (go here or see below my signature for more), I had the opportunity on 27 August to chat with Sumati Nambiar (FDA) and Marco Cavaleri (EMA) about ongoing regulatory activities. The