- 9 Sep 2021 (virtual, 2-3p CEST): Webinar entitled “Antimicrobial Resistance: Turning Plans into Action” sponsored by the Uppsala Health Summit. Starting in 2014, UHS has convened a series of fascinating and diverse policy discussions (e.g., healthy urban chlidhoods). For their 2021 edition, they focused on Managing Antimicrobial Resistance through Behaviour Change. As I find the idea of behavioral approach to AMR to be fascinating and inadequately discussed, this webinar to report looks fascinating. Go here to register.
- 22-23 Sep 2021 (virtual, 10-11.15a CET and then again at 3-4.30p CET): WHO-sponsored webinar entitled of “One Health approaches to antimicrobial resistance” with global, regional and country presentations from Thailand, Kenya and Morocco. Go here to register for the earlier time slot, go here for the later one.
- 29 Sep-3 Oct 2021 (virtual, various times): 10th annual IDWeek conference. Go here to register.
- 30 Sep 2021 (virtual, 9a-noon EST, 2-5p BST): Featuring Dame Sally Davies and Marc Mendelson, this is a Vivli-sponsored workshop entitled “A Foundation Briefing on Industry AMR Surveillance: Data for Action” that will discuss Vivli’s new surveillance sharing platform. Go here to register.
- 8-11 Oct 2021 (Aberdeen, Scotland): 10th Trends in Medical Mycology. Go here for details.
- 11-15 Oct 2021 (physical, somewhere in the UK): UK-focused Innovation Mission sponsored by Innovate UK in collaboration with AMR Insights and Oxford innovation. This free event seeks to connect AMR-focused start-ups, SMEs and Multinationals, Academia, Research Institutes, Regional Development Companies and other interested stakeholders in the UK, Europe and other parts of the world. Go here for more details.
- 16-24 Oct 2021 (Annecy, France): Interdisciplinary Course on Antibiotics and Resistance (ICARe). This is a soup-to-nuts residential course on antibiotics, antibiotic resistance, and antibiotic R&D. The course is very intense, very detailed, and gets rave reviews. Registration is here and is limited to 40 students. Bonus feature: For obvious reasons, the course didn’t happen in 2020! But as a celebration of the course’s 5th year, a webinar version was held on 29 Oct 2020: go here to stream it.
- 5-8 Nov 2021 (Albuquerque, New Mexico): Biannual meeting of the MSGERC (Mycoses Study Group Education and Research Consortium). Save-the-date announcement is here, details to follow.
- 3 Dec 2021 (Boston, in person, 9a-6.30p, COVID vaccination required): 8th annual BAARN (Boston Area Antimicrobial Research Network) meeting. Go here for details; registration link is here.
- 3 Dec 2021 (virtual, US daytime timings): Symposium entitled “Advances in Antibacterial Discovery” sponsored by the St. Jude Department of Chemical Biology and Therapeutics, is a part of the broader Bringing Chemistry to Medicine series and is supported by the St. Jude T32 Infectious Disease Therapeutics training program. Go here for details and to register.
- 6-11 Mar 2022 (Il Ciocco, Tuscany): Gordon Research Conference entitled “New Antibacterial Discovery and Development”. Go here for details, go here for the linked 5-6 Mar Gordon Research Seminar that precedes it.
- 7-8 Apr 2022 (Basel and in person, we hope): The 6th edition of the annual AMR conference sponsored by the BEAM Alliance, CARB-X, the Novo REPAIR Impact Fund, the IMI Accelerator, and the European Biotechnology Network. Go here for the hold-the-date page and a way to be kept informed about the meeting.
- 9-13 May 2022 (Athens and online): 40th Annual Meeting of the European Society for Paediatric Infectious Diseases, Go here for details.
- 20-24 Sep 2022 (New Delhi): 21st Congress of the International Society for Human and Animal Mycology (ISHAM). Go here for details.
- 25-28 Oct 2022 (Stellenbosch, South Africa): The University of Cape Town’s H3D Research Centre will celebrate its 10th anniversary with a symposium covering the Centre’s research on Malaria, TB, Neglected Tropical Diseases, and AMR. Go here to register.
Dear All, I have just learned that the AMR Industry Alliance has posted an RFP for a consultant to support the work of its Access Working Group with applications for the RFP due 24 September 2021. The consultancy project focuses on the root causes of (lack of!) supply chain resilience for off-patent antibiotics, including stockouts, shortages and
Dear All, The BEAM Alliance, along with its partners (CARB-X, the Novo REPAIR Impact Fund, the IMI AMR Accelerator, and the European Biotechnology Magazine) converted their annual AMR conference into a virtual event held 24-26 Aug 2021. As usual, it was excellent! I know we’re all really, REALLY tired of virtual meetings but the 2h/day x 3 day themed format worked well:
Dear All (this newsletter experiments with an Executive Summary/Details format; let me know what you think), (Executive Summary) As a further support for implementation of recommendations from the UN Interagency Coordination Group on Antimicrobial Resistance (IACG AMR), the Tripartite Plus (WHO-FAO-OIE-UNEP) are seeking to create a Partnership Platform that will “engage institutions representing states, markets and
Dear All, We have today an excellent report from the Global AMR R&D Hub entitled “Estimating Global Patient Needs and Market Potential for Priority Health Technologies Addressing Antimicrobial Resistance.” Both the bottom line and the key message of the report are clearly stated in the Preface: “… we hope that by showing the astonishing mismatch