- 23-24 March 2023 (virtual, 10a-4p ET): 23rd Meeting of the Presidential Advisory Council on Combating Antibiotic Resistance (PACCARB). The PACCARB will vote on the report from the Pandemic Preparedness Working Group (PPWG) on how to strengthen defenses against AMR pathogens in the face of a potential future, large-scale disease event. Go here for details and to register.
- 14 Apr 2023 (Copenhagen, Denmark; 3-6.30p CEST): ECCMID and the Global Leaders Group on AMR will jointly sponsor a symposium entitled “Forging partnerships between science and policy in Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR).” Go here to register.
- 15-18 Apr 2023 (Copenhagen, Denmark): 33rd ECCMID. Go here for details and to register.
- 26 Apr 2023 (virtual, noon-1.30p CET): Webinar entitled “WHO Human health AMR research agenda” from WHO’s series entitled “WHO Global Webinar Series to Support Implementation of National Action Plans on Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR).” Go here to register.
- 8-12 May 2023 (Lisbon, Portugal): 41st Annual Meeting of the European Society for Paediatric Infectious Diseases. Go here for details.
- [NEW] 3-5 Jul 2023 (Tours, France): 9th Symposium on Antimicrobial Resistance in Animals and the Environment (ARAE). Sponsored by INRAE (French National Research Institute for Agriculture, Food, and Environment, itself a merger of merger of INRA, the French National Institute for Agricultural Research, and IRSTEA, the French National Research Institute of Science and Technology for the Environment and Agriculture), this conference has been running since 2005. Go here for details.
- [NOW OPEN FOR APPLICATIONS!] 7-15 Oct 2023 (residential, Annecy, France): ICARe, the Interdisciplinary Course on Antibiotics and Resistance. Now in its 7th year, this course is a deep-dive into the world of antibiotic development. Intense, rigorous, and HIGHLY recommended. Seats are always limited … apply sooner rather than later! Go here for details.
- 20-23 Oct 2023 (Athens, Greece): 11th TIMM (Trends in Medical Mycology). Go here for details.
AMR Action: Letter to sign, letter to write, Bill Gates in NYT on fire extinguishers!
Dear All, Following hard on the heels of the very successful call for signatories of a letter in support of PASTEUR (2 Mar 2023 newsletter; copy of final signed letter with > 230 signatories!), we now have two more calls for letters supporting key AMR funding initiatives. And importantly, you do not have to be
17 April 2023: FREE Masterclass from FDA / CARB-X wants you!
Dear All, Two quick items today. First, FDA have announced an Antimicrobial Drugs Advisory Committee on 17 April 2023 (9a-4.30p ET). The committee will “discuss new drug application (NDA) 216974, for sulbactam-durlobactam for injection, submitted by Entasis Therapeutics, Inc. The Applicant’s proposed indication is for the treatment of infections due to Acinetobacter baumannii-calcoaceticus complex including multidrug-resistant and
WHO 2023 Pipeline Update: Share Your Preclinical Antibacterial Projects!
Dear All, As you know, WHO updates their preclinical and clinical pipeline summaries at regular intervals. The most current reviews are summarized on https://amr.solutions/pathogens-and-pipelines/. These excellent summaries are invaluable for researchers of all types and are also used to inform policy work. There is now a call to for current information on antibacterial pre-clinical projects. Go here
PASTEUR: Sign a letter to make it happen this year!
Dear All, As all regular readers of this newsletter know, I think that creation of suitable Pull incentives by passage of the PASTEUR Act in the United States is THE key to building a vibrant pipeline of products to address the international problem of AMR. PASTEUR came very close to passage at the end of 2022 …