Aside: There is now an application link for the Mar 2020 Antibacterial R&D GRC meeting. See calendar listing below my signature!
Dear All: CARB-X this week announced its 2019 calls for proposals (link). There are four application rounds:
- Non-traditional approaches: Funding Round 1 will be open for Expressions of Interest June 3 – June 10, 2019, 5 PM ET. The scope of Round 1 is restricted to non-traditional approaches – alternatives to antibiotics – including, for example, indirect-acting small molecule therapeutics, direct acting or indirect-acting large molecules, microbiome, phage, nucleic acid/antisense, and drug conjugates
- Vaccines and biotherapeutics: Funding Round 2 will be open for Expressions of Interest July 8 – July 15, 2019, 5 PM ET. The scope of Round 2 is restricted to vaccines, therapeutic and preventative antibodies/fragments, and other large molecule biotherapeutic approaches
- Diagnostics: Funding Round 3 will be open for Expressions of Interest August 12 – August 19, 2019, 5 PM ET. The scope of Round 3 is restricted to diagnostics that will rapidly identify either the bacterial species or antibiotic susceptibility, or both.
- Direct-acting small molecule antibiotics: Funding Round 4 will open for Expressions of Interest November 12 – November 19, 2019, 5 PM ET. The scope of Round 4 is restricted to new classes of antibiotics and/or new targets for therapeutics.
To help you understand how best to apply, CARB-X is planning a webinar on May 16, 2019, to discuss the funding rounds, scope and application process, and answer questions. The timing and a registration link will follow … I suggest you mark your calendar now and check back closer to the date. For further details, see also https://carb-x.org/apply/
All best wishes, –jr
John H. Rex, MD | Chief Medical Officer, F2G Ltd. | Expert-in-Residence, Wellcome Trust. Follow me on Twitter: @JohnRex_NewAbx. See past newsletters and subscribe for the future: http://amr.solutions/blog/
Upcoming meetings of interest to the AMR community:
- 6-11 May 2019 (Ljubljana, Slovenia): 37th Annual Meeting of the European Society for Paediatric Infectious Diseases (ESPID). Details here.
- 20 May 2019 (everywhere): Application deadline for NIAID solicitation (HHS-NIH-NIAID-BAA2019-1) for proposals to support new vaccine or therapeutics candidates targeting antibiotic-resistant bacterial infections. Go here for more details.
- 3-6 Jun 2019 (Philadelphia): Annual BIO meeting
- 20-24 June 2019 (San Francisco): Annual ASM Microbe meeting.
- 10-11 Jul 2019 (Madison, WI): Tiny Earth Symposium, a teaching consortium that uses crowd-sourcing of antibiotic-producing microbes to improve undergraduate education. Details here.
- 12 July 2019 (FDA, White Oak Campus): Public workshop to discuss the 2018 LPAD guidance. Register here.
- [Mark your calendar now!] 3-6 Sep 2019 (Boston). Annual ASM-ESCMID Conference on Antibiotic Development. The Bootcamp series will continue on 3 Sep with main meeting on 4-6 Sep. Mark your calendar now and check back here for details.
- 6-8 Sep 2019 (Bilbao, Spain): 5th ESCMID conference on Vaccines. Check back here for details.
- 2-6 Oct 2019 (Washington, DC): IDSA’s annual IDWeek meeting.
- 19-27 Oct 2019 (Annecy, France): International Course on Antibiotics and Resistance (ICARe) – A soup-to-nuts intensive residential training program on all things AMR, especially R&D for new antibiotics. See this link for details.
- [Application link now active!] 1-6 Mar 2020 (Il Ciocco, Tuscany, Italy): GRC on Antibacterial Discovery and Development: “Now is the time to re-boot antibiotic R&D before it’s too little, too late.” Go here for details.
- 12-13 Mar 2020 (Berlin?): BEAM-, Novo REPAIR-, CARB-X-, DZIF-, ND4BB-, ENABLE-supported (among a long list!) Conference on Novel Antimicrobials and AMR Diagnostics. Final location is TBD, details will appear here, and you should mark your calendar now.
- 18-21 Apr 2020 (Paris): Annual ECCMID meeting (#30)
- 10-13 Apr 2021 (Vienna): Annual ECCMID meeting (#31)