Dear All: Two interesting job posts this week. Could one of them be for you?
First, CARB-X seeks a Boston-based full-time Chief of R&D (link). This is clearly a very senior role on the CARB-X leadership team: the R&D Chief would have responsibility across the entire CARB-X portfolio for the planning, review, awarding and monitoring of novel R&D projects addressing the antimicrobial resistance issue on a global basis. There is no stated deadline for applications, but I’d guess this fabulous role will attract a lot of interest!
Second, WHO has published a call for a Junior Consultancy to support the implementation of AMR programmes. Per the RFP (link), the consultant would support “implementation of the Global Action Plan on Antimicrobial Resistance, through supporting national, regional and global initiatives to optimize the use of antimicrobials across the antimicrobial value chain from research and development to antimicrobial stewardship and awareness raising.”
The role would run from 16 Sep 2019 to 15 Feb 2020. I’m told that role does not have be based in Geneva. This sounds like a good entry-level role for someone with an interest in developing experience in the public sector. The deadline for submissions is 19 July 2019.
All best wishes, –jr
John H. Rex, MD | Chief Medical Officer, F2G Ltd. | Expert-in-Residence, Wellcome Trust. Follow me on Twitter: @JohnRex_NewAbx. See past newsletters and subscribe for the future: http://amr.solutions/blog/
Upcoming meetings of interest to the AMR community:
- 20-24 Jun 2019 (San Francisco): Annual ASM Microbe meeting.
- 9 Jul 2019 (webinar, 17:00-18:30 CEST): REVIVE webinar entitled “Infection models for antimicrobial R&D: Intracellular models”. Go here to register.
- 10-11 Jul 2019 (Madison, WI): Tiny Earth Symposium, a teaching consortium that uses crowd-sourcing of antibiotic-producing microbes to improve undergraduate education. Details here.
- 11-12 Jul 2019 (Washington, DC): FDA-sponsored workshop entitled “Leveraging Randomized Clinical Trials to Generate Real-World Evidence for Regulatory Purposes.” Go here for more details.
- 12 Jul 2019 (FDA, White Oak Campus): Public workshop to discuss the 2018 LPAD guidance. Register here.
- [NEW] 15-19 Jul 2019 (Dallas, TX): Small World Initiative Instructor Training Workshop — training for undergraduate professors and high school teachers in wet lab techniques, parallel curricula, pedagogical instruction to engage students in the hunt for new antibiotics in soil. Go here to register.
- [Mark your calendar now!] 3-6 Sep 2019 (Boston). Annual ASM-ESCMID Conference on Antibiotic Development. The Bootcamp series will continue on 3 Sep with main meeting on 4-6 Sep. Mark your calendar now and check back here for details.
- 6-8 Sep 2019 (Bilbao, Spain): 5th ESCMID conference on Vaccines. Check back here for details.
- 2-6 Oct 2019 (Washington, DC): IDSA’s annual IDWeek meeting.
- 19-27 Oct 2019 (Annecy, France): International Course on Antibiotics and Resistance (ICARe) – A soup-to-nuts intensive residential training program on all things AMR, especially R&D for new antibiotics. See this link for details.
- 1-6 Mar 2020 (Il Ciocco, Tuscany, Italy): GRC on Antibacterial Discovery and Development: “Now is the time to re-boot antibiotic R&D before it’s too little, too late.” Go here for details.
- 12-13 Mar 2020 (Berlin?): BEAM-, Novo REPAIR-, CARB-X-, DZIF-, ND4BB-, ENABLE-supported (among a long list!) Conference on Novel Antimicrobials and AMR Diagnostics. Final location is TBD, details will appear here, and you should mark your calendar now.
- 16-17 Mar 2020 (London): BSAC Spring Conference entitled: “Bridging the gap between science, policy and effective antimicrobial use.” Go here for details.
- 18-21 Apr 2020 (Paris): Annual ECCMID meeting (#30)
- 10-13 Apr 2021 (Vienna): Annual ECCMID meeting (#31)