Dear All: I trust you are now home after ECCMID in Madrid … it was an excellent meeting. Two new funding opportunities have recently crossed my radar: brief summaries and one key link for each are here with some further details below my signature.
- EU JPIAMR funding call: As part of its Virtual Research Institute (VRI) initiative, JPIAMR wants to fund as many as 22 collaborative research networks.
- US BARDA Funding Opportunity Announcement: Building on the job opportunities recently announced for its DRIVe initiative, BARDA is creating an accelerator network providing technical and business development support services to programs funded by DRIVe.
This is great to see happening! All best wishes, –jr
John H. Rex, MD | Chief Medical Officer, F2G Ltd. | Expert-in-Residence, Wellcome Trust. Follow me on Twitter: @JohnRex_NewAbx. See past newsletters and subscribe for the future: http://amr.solutions/blog/
JPIAMR call for network proposals: https://www.jpiamr.eu/pre-announcement-8th-call-building-the-foundation-of-the-jpiamr-vri/
- JPIAMR seeks to encourage research alignment via establishing a Virtual Research Institute in AMR – a global network connecting research performing organisations, including institutes, centres, and infrastructures.
- In partnership with ten member countries; Canada, Egypt, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom, JPIAMR is launching the 8th joint call for transnational Networks. The total budget of the call is approximately 1.1 million Euro. This Network Call “Building the Foundation of the JPIAMR Virtual Research Institute” aims to identify research community needs and develop ideas to form the foundation for the JPIAMR-VRI
- Up to 22 Networks will be funded with up to €50 000 each coordinator to connect experts from research performing organisations and establish expertise clusters in the AMR community.
- The formation of larger, multi-coordinator Networks is possible according to national rules.
- Deadline for proposals is 4 July 2018.
BARDA DRIVEe Accelerator Network: Funding Opportunity Announcement: https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=303785
- BARDA’s newest Division of Research, Innovation and Ventures (DRIVe), will stimulate public-private partnership collaborations that spur innovation and investment in health security products and technologies to repopulate the development pipeline and stimulate the public good of the nation.
- A key component of this is the DRIVe Accelerator Network, where accelerators work together to identify promising, innovation and then provide wraparound technical and business development support services to programs funded by DRIVe.
- DRIVe Accelerator Network support teams will bring together a network of multiple accelerators, building on their individual strengths and unleash them to work directly with product developers funded by DRIVe.
- Product development candidates that graduate from DRIVe with support of the DRIVe Accelerator Network will be better positioned for advanced R&D investment, clinical development, and commercialization.
- The deadline for proposals is 17 May 2018.
Upcoming meetings of interest to the AMR community:
- 4-7 Jun 2018 (Boston): BIO (multiple AMR-focused sessions are expected)
- 7-11 Jun 2018 (Atlanta): ASM Microbe
- 12-13 Jun 2018 (Washington): National Academies of Science workshop: Understanding the Economics of Microbial Threats
- 14 June 2018 (Washington): Duke-Margolis & FDA event: “Understanding the Development Challenges Associated with Emerging Non-Traditional Antibiotics”
- 21-22 Jun 2018 (I presume London but don’t know for sure, announcement is pending): joint EMA-FDA-PMDA workshop on pediatric development of antibacterial agents.
- 22-27 Jul 2018 (Bryant University, Smithfield, RI): Gordon Research Conference on Drug Resistance for Cancer, Infectious Disease and Agriculture
- 4-7 Sep 2018 ESCMID-ASM Conference (#3) on Drug Development for AMR (Lisbon, Portugal)
- 3-7 Oct 2018 (San Francisco): ID Week
- 6-14 Oct 2018 International Course on Antibiotics and Resistance (ICARe, Les Pensières, Annecy, France)