Also note several new webinars in the forward meeting list!
NIAID currently has an open BAA (Broad Agency Announcement, HHS-NIH-NIAID-BAA2019-1, link), that calls for proposals across three research areas: Medical Countermeasures (MCMs), therapeutics for resistant bacteria, and vaccines for resistant bacteria.
The deadline for Research Area 001 (MCMs) is still 20 May 2019, but the deadline for Research Area 002 (therapeutics) and for Research Area 003 (vaccines) has been extended to 10 June 2019. The approximate scope for applications is LO to Phase 1 (therapeutics) and pre-clinical candidate to Phase 2 (vaccines). For more details, see the link or you can reach out to NIAID staff at:
Research Area 001: Development of Radiation/Nuclear Medical Countermeasures
Division of Allergy, Immunology, and Transplantation (DAIT)
Liem Nguyen: email@example.com
Research Area 002: Development of Therapeutic Products for Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria;
Research Area 003: Advanced Development of Vaccine Candidates for Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria
Division of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (DMID)
Julie Rodriguez: firstname.lastname@example.org
George Kennedy: email@example.com
All best wishes, –jr
John H. Rex, MD | Chief Medical Officer, F2G Ltd. | Expert-in-Residence, Wellcome Trust. Follow me on Twitter: @JohnRex_NewAbx. See past newsletters and subscribe for the future: http://amr.solutions/blog/
Upcoming meetings of interest to the AMR community:
- [NEW] 21 May 2019 (webinar, 1700-1830 CEST): REVIVE webinar entitled “Mining Chemical Libraries for New Antibacterials”. Go here to register.
- [NEW (extended) DEADLINE] 10 June 2019 (everywhere): Application deadline for NIAID solicitation (HHS-NIH-NIAID-BAA2019-1) for proposals to support new vaccine or therapeutics candidates targeting antibiotic-resistant bacterial infections. Go here for more details.
- 3-6 Jun 2019 (Philadelphia): Annual BIO meeting
- [NEW] 4 Jun 2019 (webinar, 4 June, 13:30-15:00 CEST / 17:00-18:30 IST / 18:30-20:00 ICT). Repeat of REVIVE webinar entitled “Mining Chemical Libraries for New Antibacterials”. Go here to register.
- [NEW] 11 June 2019 (webinar, 17:00-18:30 CEST): REVIVE webinar entitled “Models for antimicrobial R&D: Development and use of in vivo models for infectious disease research”. Go here to register
- 20-24 June 2019 (San Francisco): Annual ASM Microbe meeting.
- [NEW] 9 July 2019 (webinar, 17:00-18:30 CEST): REVIVE webinar entitled “Infection models for antimicrobial R&D: Intracellular models”. Go here to register.
- 10-11 Jul 2019 (Madison, WI): Tiny Earth Symposium, a teaching consortium that uses crowd-sourcing of antibiotic-producing microbes to improve undergraduate education. Details here.
- 12 July 2019 (FDA, White Oak Campus): Public workshop to discuss the 2018 LPAD guidance. Register here.
- [Mark your calendar now!] 3-6 Sep 2019 (Boston). Annual ASM-ESCMID Conference on Antibiotic Development. The Bootcamp series will continue on 3 Sep with main meeting on 4-6 Sep. Mark your calendar now and check back here for details.
- 6-8 Sep 2019 (Bilbao, Spain): 5th ESCMID conference on Vaccines. Check back here for details.
- 2-6 Oct 2019 (Washington, DC): IDSA’s annual IDWeek meeting.
- 19-27 Oct 2019 (Annecy, France): International Course on Antibiotics and Resistance (ICARe) – A soup-to-nuts intensive residential training program on all things AMR, especially R&D for new antibiotics. See this link for details.
- 1-6 Mar 2020 (Il Ciocco, Tuscany, Italy): GRC on Antibacterial Discovery and Development: “Now is the time to re-boot antibiotic R&D before it’s too little, too late.” Go here for details.
- 12-13 Mar 2020 (Berlin?): BEAM-, Novo REPAIR-, CARB-X-, DZIF-, ND4BB-, ENABLE-supported (among a long list!) Conference on Novel Antimicrobials and AMR Diagnostics. Final location is TBD, details will appear here, and you should mark your calendar now.
- 16-17 Mar 2020 (London): BSAC Spring Conference entitled: “Bridging the gap between science, policy and effective antimicrobial use.” Go here for details.
- 18-21 Apr 2020 (Paris): Annual ECCMID meeting (#30)
- 10-13 Apr 2021 (Vienna): Annual ECCMID meeting (#31)