Dear All: This is your heads-up about next week’s World Antibiotic Awareness Week. Themed “Learn how to handle antibiotics with care,” this is the third in a series of annual WHO-driven World Antibiotic Awareness Weeks (prior ones are in this archive). I’ll confess that I had overlooked this event until I was reminded about it just today and I thought it was worth sharing with this group. A quick survey shows that there are national-level activies around the world during this week: US CDC, WHO/Europe, ReACT-led workshops in Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, India, Indonesia, Thailand, and Ecuador), Australia & NZ (this link and pages N12-15 of this .pdf), … and hopefully many more!
If you want to take advantage of this event, note that the WHO website has a lot great materials, including some really clever animated .gifs and an online educational game!
All best wishes, –jr
John H. Rex, MD | Chief Medical Officer, F2G Ltd. | Expert-in-Residence, Wellcome Trust. Follow me on Twitter: @JohnRex_NewAbx. See past newsletters and subscribe for the future: http://amr.solutions/blog/
Upcoming meetings of interest to the AMR community:
- 11-19 Nov 2017 (Annecy, France): International Course on Antibiotics and Resistance (ICARE)
- 13-19 Nov 2017 WHO’s World Antibiotic Awareness Week
- 15 Nov 2017 (London): BSAC: AMR Market Lounges. Networking day.
- 20 Nov 2017 (week of, China): UK-China Newton Fund Workshop: Antimicrobial Resistance Centre Partnerships Initiative.
- 20 Nov 2017 (London): Early Career Researcher Workshop on Diagnostics for Antimicrobial Resistance.
- 24-27 Nov 2017 (Taipei): 30th International Congress of Chemotherapy & Infection (ICC)
- [NEW] 7-8 Dec 2017 (Birmingham, UK): Antibiotic Resistance and Mechanisms Workshop (BSAC)
- 12-14 Feb 2018 (Baltimore): ASM Biothreats Conference
- 11-16 Mar 2018 (Ventura Beach): Gordon Research Conference on Antibacterial Discovery
- 21-24 Apr 2018 (Madrid): ECCMID
- 7-11 Jun 2018 (Atlanta): ASM Microbe
- 22-27 Jul 2018 (Bryant University, Smithfield, RI): Gordon Research Conference on Drug Resistance for Cancer, Infectious Disease and Agriculture